With release of the already proven Salk vaccine in 1955, Warm Springs began to change. Fewer and fewer new cases of polio were reported in the U.S. and abroad, and gradually the facility began to focus on rehabilitation for all types of disabilities. Eventually, the Georgia Warm Springs Foundation donated land for an adjacent, state-managed vocational rehab complex known as the Georgia Rehabilitation Center, which opened in 1964. Ten years later, the Foundation turned over the hospital and remaining property (a $1 transaction) to the State of Georgia.
In 1980, the separate medical and vocational programs were merged as the Roosevelt Warm Springs Institute for Rehabilitation and the entire campus was designated a National Historic Landmark District. New medical programs began to emerge for the treatment of brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, strokes, amputations and other neurological or orthopedic conditions, as well as employment preparation services and academic programs for young people with physical, learning, mental and behavioral disabilities.
The creation of the Roosevelt Warm Springs Development Fund in 1986 ushered in a new era of public-private partnership and capital campaigns, leading to new facilities like Camp Dream, a 74-acre complex suitable for all types of disability camps; the Ruzycki Center for Therapeutic Recreation, an $11.2 million, fully accessible recreation building; the $2.8 million renovation of Roosevelt Hall, including a state-of-the-art therapy gym; Blanchard Hall, a nearly $7 million home for outpatient services, and most recently, the opening of the new Student Dormatory.
Today, Roosevelt Warm Springs is one of only eight state-managed rehabilitation centers in the country.