Events throughout October to Promote and Encourage Employment of Individuals with Disabilities
October marks the beginning of National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM), and the Georgia Vocational Rehabilitation Agency (GVRA) has events planned throughout.
The monthly celebration dates back to 1945 when Congress enacted a law making the first week in October “National Employ the Physically Handicapped Week.” In 1988, Congress changed the name to what it is today, at the same time expanding NDEAM to the entire month. In its current incarnation, the event serves to celebrate the many accomplishments of America’s workers with disabilities, at the same time raising awareness about issues related to disability employment.
Throughout October, the GVRA will partner with a host of other organizations to provide resources to employers and potential employees alike. They include:
- October 2 – MARTA Lindbergh Center Station - Resource Fair
- October 9th and 23rd MARTA Employees Resource Fair
- October 17th Honda- Disability Expo - Resource Fair
- October 15th and 30th West End Mall Employment Displays
- October 4 – Metropolitan Employment Networking Association (MENA) Career Expo
- October 24 – Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce/Atlanta Public Schools Career Day
GVRA Executive Director Greg Schmieg encourages everyone to both recognize the contributions that employees with disabilities make to the greater Georgia economy and to become involved in the movement of helping those with disabilities find and maintain employment. Together, we can make a difference, he said.
“The economic recovery of this country must include employment for citizens with disabilities,” Schmieg said. “This month lets us celebrate past achievements and focus on what we need to do to help those with disabilities find work and keep it.”